Field training should be scheduled after a student completes the majority of their required coursework—this is typically after the second semester. Students should begin preparing for field training at least three months prior to their anticipated start date.
Field training can occur in the fall, winter, spring or summer semesters.
- Student reviews field training information and list of MPH field training sites on the School of Public Health and Health Professions (SPHHP) Field Training website.
- Student completes MPH Field Training Information Form for field training and uploads resume.
- Student meets with Ariana Martinez, MPH training coordinator, to discuss field training interests and options at least three months prior to the anticipated start date of field training. Contact Ms. Martinez by email at email@example.com.
- Ariana Martinez identifies a potential field training placement and facilitates an interview between the agency and student.
- Student should register for field training credits (CHB/EEH/STA 544 for 3 credits) in the semester in which he/she will complete his/her hours. Students who are full-time will pay additional tuition costs when registering for summer credits.
- Student follows the steps for setting up his/her MyInternshipJournal account to begin field training in the MPH Student Resources portal in UBLearns. Student submits Form 1 - MPH Field Training Description using MyInternshipJournal.
- At the conclusion of the field training experience, using MyInternshipJournal, student forwards Form 2 - Evaluation of Student's Performance to his/her site supervisor. Student then completes Form 3 - Student's Evaluation of Field Training Experience.
- Student prepares and submits a PowerPoint slide set of his/her field training experience. The slide set should include speaker notes for each slide. Student uploads final slide set into his/her MyInternshipJournal.com account for review and is assigned a grade.
- By completing this slide set, students can also earn the Interprofessional Collaborative Practice (IPCP) Healthcare Practice Digital Badge. More information is available in the MPH Student Resources Portal.