Student Scholarships and Grants

The Office of Global Health Initiatives offers scholarships for students enrolled in the School of Public Health and Health Professions and provides resources for students from other schools interested in scholarship opportunities in the field of global health.

On this page:

Art Goshin Global Health Field Work Award

The Office of Global Health Initiatives offers funding for UB School of Public Health and Health Professions' students interested in interacting with programs implementing public health initiatives and services in resource-poor settings. Graduate students enrolled in SPHHP programs are eligible for international awards. This international experience will be carried out under the agreement and supervision of an SPHHP faculty member.

Robert O'Shea Student Travel Award

The Robert O’Shea Student Travel Award supports students from the Department of Epidemiology and Environmental Health to travel and present their research findings. Written requests to cover travel funds for research meetings should be submitted to Dr. Jo Freudenheim, UB Distinguished Professor, and Chair of Epidemiology and Environmental Health, Students must apply for funds before submitting an abstract.​

Benjamin H. Kean Travel Fellowship in Tropical Medicine

The travel fellowship provides travel expenses for medical students who arrange clinical tropical medicine or tropical medicine research electives in areas afflicted by tropical diseases. Applicant must be a full-time student in an accredited school of Medicine in the U.S. or Canada. Additional American Society of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene funding opportunities are listed here.   

The Cancer Epidemiology Education in Special Populations (CEESP) Program

CEESP provides funding for students to travel and conduct summer research in U.S. minority and global settings. The program provides a stipend/subsistence to cover travel and living expenses in the domestic or foreign research sites. CEESP is funded by a grant from the National Cancer Institute.

Center for Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities (CURCA)

CURCA connects students to faculty members who are willing to mentor undergraduate students in their research projects. The center offers $500 scholarship awards to students who exhibit a need for funding to perform meaningful research and or creative activities during their undergraduate enrollment at UB.

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship

The Gilman Scholarship Program offers awards for undergraduate study abroad and was established by the International Academic Opportunity Act of 2000. This scholarship provides awards for U.S. undergraduate students who are receiving Federal Pell Grant funding at a two-year or four-year college or university to participate in study abroad programs worldwide.

The Recovery Village® Health Care Scholarship

The Recovery Village® is offering a $1,000 scholarship to students pursuing a medical-related course of study. Areas of study that will be considered include, but are not limited to, counseling, social work, emergency medicine, pre-med, nursing, psychology (with a focus on addiction counseling or a substance-abuse related field).