Hayes Hall on the South Campus.

Answers to some of the most common questions we receive from students. 

Prospective First Year and Transfer Students

What courses should I take in high school to prepare for SPHHP programs?

High school students should avail themselves of as much science and math as their high school offers. Of particular importance for exercise science/pre-physical therapy are chemistry, physics and calculus. For occupational therapy, students should focus on statistics, physics and any anatomy/physiology coursework that is available. Students intending on pursuing the statistics program should take as many math classes as their high school offers. 

I am interested in visiting UB. Who should I contact?

Prospective students are encouraged to contact the Office of Admissions at (716) 645-6900 for information on the Visit UB program

Can I sit in on a class?

Currently, we do not offer any classroom visits on the South Campus. 

When is the best time to visit UB and the School of Public Health and Health Professions to interact with current students and faculty, and see laboratory spaces and classrooms?

The best time to see our school in action is during Open House events. Dates and times are available on the UB Open House webpage.

I am a transfer student or already have an undergraduate degree and need someone to review my transcripts to determine where I would stand in a particular program. How can I go about this?

Please email your request along with an unofficial electronic copy of your transcript to sphhp-oasa@buffalo.edu and an advisor will evaluate it for you. You can also utilize the Transfer Articulation and University Requirements at UB System TAURUS to look up course equivalencies on your own. 

Entering Students

What is the process for getting registered for classes?

All students must have their immunizations and meningitis waivers cleared before they can be officially registered for classes. Students are encouraged to submit this information early so as to expedite the registration process.

Speak With An Academic Advisor First

We recommend that students do not attempt to register themselves for coursework prior to speaking with an academic advisor. 

First Year Students

Our advisors email students within two weeks of receiving the Orientation Data Form to schedule an appointment. Advisors register students for most of their courses during your phone/in-person appointment, and then email students information on how to access their schedule in HUB. Students will be responsible for registering themselves in the UB seminar with the guidance of SPHHP advisors. 

  • Please double check the email account and phone number that you list on your data form for this notification.

Transfer Students

Our advisors call or email students within two weeks of receiving the Orientation Data Form to schedule an appointment to discuss course registration. 

  • Please double check the email account and phone number that you listed on your data form for this notification.

How often should I see my academic advisor?

We recommend at least once per semester, but you are welcome to meet with us more often as needed. First semester students (both first year and transfer) will have mandatory advisement appointments, while students in subsequent semesters come in as they see fit. 

Current Students

How can I determine which courses at other institutions are equivalent to UB courses and vice versa?

If you are considering taking courses elsewhere to complete requirements you should consult TAURUS to view existing course articulation. You should also speak, in advance, with your advisor. 

Can I take more than 19 credit hours? How do I go about doing that?

Only an academic advisor can provide you an override to take more than 19 credit hours per semester. If you have a circumstance that you believe requires that you take more than 19 credit hours, please email sphhp-oasa@buffalo.edu with the request. Typically students must have a 3.0 UB GPA in order for the override to be granted. 

General Advising

How do I schedule an appointment?

Clearly Share Your Contact Information

When scheduling an appointment via phone or email, it is important that you clearly state your first and last name, UB person number, telephone number, and purpose for your appointment. This ensures that we schedule you as efficiently as possible.  

Phone: (716) 829-5000

Schedule online

Email: sphhp-oasa@buffalo.edu

What if I am taking a course that is not in TAURUS? Can I have a syllabus evaluated to see if it’s equivalent?

Yes. You will need to follow the procedures outlined on the TAURUS website under Articulation Request Process. Once the department reviews the syllabus the results will be displayed in TAURUS and on your advising report. 

Can you explain how to find and read my advisement report?

What are my advisors responsibilities and what are my responsibilities as a student?

What is a normal load for a full-time student?

An average of 15 credit hours per academic semester is recommended for graduation within four years. However, if a student is bringing in a lot of AP or college credit they may be able to take fewer or if they wish to minor/double major they may have more. It’s best to speak with an advisor on what is appropriate for you individually. 

How do I change my major?

To change an undergraduate plan prior to enrollment, you should contact the UB Office of Admissions.

Once you are enrolled, you can update your major using the online Undergraduate Plan Change Form.

Where can I get help with tutoring?

What if I have a question that was not answered here?

It is strongly encouraged that you make an appointment to speak with an academic advisor if you have any questions or are unclear about a policy. 

Sample Syllabi

Please note that the following syllabi are for informational purposes only. All course syllabi are updated and modified routinely.