Full citation

Burman, D. (1998). The Design to Cost (DTC) Approach to Product Development. AACE International Transactions, 3(1), 48-52.

Format: Peer-reviewed article

Type: Experience

Experience level of reader: Fundamental

Annotation: This article discusses the elements of Design to Cost (DTC), including cost considerations and early product definition based on customer requirements.

Setting(s) to which the reported activities/findings are relevant: Large business

Knowledge user(s) to whom the piece of literature may be relevant: Manufacturers

Knowledge user level addressed by the literature: Organization

This article uses the Commercial Devices and Services version of the NtK Model

Primary Findings

Method: Design to cost tools and methods are used to design a product with the lowest possible life cycle cost and highest performance, quality, and reliability. 75% of the product cost is defined during the concept & feasibility and Alpha phase, the remaining 25% during manufacturing release & volume production.
Experience and professional training of author.
Occurrence of finding within the model: Step 2.2