We prepare graduates to address the most critical public health issues our world faces. Essential skills in addressing health disparities are the ability to work with diverse populations; understand issues of equity; recognize and appreciate cultural values; and improve health communication, advocacy and policy making. Applying these skills can help to mitigate health inequities.
We strongly recommend that you address at least one diversity-related foundational competency from the list above as one of the three foundational competencies addressed in your project:
- #6 Discuss the means by which structural bias, social inequities and racism undermine health and create challenges to achieving health equity at organizational, community and societal levels.
- #8 Apply awareness of cultural values and practices to the design or implementation of public health policies or programs.
- #14 Advocate for political, social or economic policies and programs that will improve health in diverse populations.
- #15 Evaluate policies for their impact on public health and health equity.
- #20 Describe the importance of cultural competence in communicating public health content.